Conserving water : In the bathroom
In the bathroom
- Don’t run water when brushing your teeth, washing your hands or face.
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth and save almost 100 litres a month.
- When you are washing your hands, don’t let the water run while you lather.
- Turn off the water while you wash your hair to save more than 500 litres a month.
- Turn off the water while you shave and save more than 1000 litres a month.
- Shorten your shower by a minute or two and you’ll save up to 500 litres per month.
- Close taps tightly
- When filling a tub, plug it before turning the water on, then adjust the temperature as the tub fills up.
- Replace damaged/leakage pipes, taps, valves to avoid overflow and wastage.
- A leaking toilet can waste up to 16,000 litres of water per year
- Never flush garbage down a toilet. It will ultimately end up in our water streams and river.
- Keep a bucket in the shower to catch water as it warms up or runs. Use this water to flush toilets or water plants.
- Upgrade older toilets with water efficient models.
- Use a water-efficient showerhead. They are inexpensive, easy to install, and can save you more than 2500 litres a month.