In the kitchen
- Don’t run water when washing the dishes
- Wash your fruits and vegetables in a pan of water instead of running water from the tap.
- When washing dishes by hand, fill the sink basin or a large container and rinse when all the dishes have been soaped and scrubbed.
- Wash vegetables in a bowl of water, washing the cleanest ones first. Use this water for your plants.
- Soak pots and pans instead of letting the water run while you scrape them clean.
- Designate one glass for your drinking water each day or refill a water bottle. This will cut down on the number of glasses to wash.
- Setting cooling systems and water softeners for a minimum number of refills saves both water and chemicals, plus more on utility bills.
- Don’t use running water to thaw food. Defrost food in the refrigerator for water efficiency and food safety.